This is the lead photo in an article showing a number of very clever Architecturally-Inspired Self-Portraits by photography duo Daniel Rueda and Anna Devis.
Do take a close look and enjoy the ingenuity these photos represent. They’re very interesting.
You gotta take a look at these art pieces by Kathleen Ryan:
“Artist Kathleen Ryan creates a conversation between the beautiful and the grotesque in her oversized sculptures of mold-covered fruit. The New York-based artist uses precious and semi-precious stones like malachite, opal, and smoky quartz to form the simulacrum of common green rot on each fruit.”
Really, take a look at her painstaking work, it’s breathtaking.
Came across this wonderful crochet set of bagels by Kate Jenkins.
Her work is quite marvellous and ingenious! Check it out:
I crochet well but it never crossed my mind to create something like this! Truly amazing – if you click on the link you’ll see all of her terrific pastries.
I’ve been making seatbelt covers for myself for years – I’m short and especially during the summer when I’m wearing open neck clothing an unprotected seatbelt cuts my neck. I was very aware of the problem whenever I was driven somewhere when I had my cast on and couldn’t drive myself. I decided I needed to make seatbelt covers for quite a few of my friends – I could also use a new pair myself.
Two days ago I bought 2m of batik fabric (it’s more densely woven than quilting cotton and holds up better) – that would work out to 6 pairs of seatbelt covers/m – cost ~$3/pair. I also bought 6m each of black and white velcro (loops and hoops) – each seat belt uses ~10″ of velcro that gives me 4 covers/m – ~$1.00/pair of covers. I have lots of batting scraps which I planned on using so I didn’t need to buy batting.
Here’s how I make the seatbelt covers:
Folded in half, I cut 7″ strips from the width of fabric – cut in half gives me 2 pieces of fabric 7″ x ~21″. I cut batting 6″ x 21″. Place the batting in the centre of the fabric, fold in one end, fold over the second (selvedge edge on top so I don’t have to fold raw edge under).
Next, I sew a double seam across the open edge, turn the cover over, attach the loops and hooks to the length edges of the seatbelt cover by stitching the inner edge of the velcro; turn seatbelt cover over so the under side is up, then fold velcro over, and stitch down, folding in the top and bottom raw edge of fabric.
Fold the cover in half and seal the velcro
That’s all there is to it. New seatbelt covers – cost: ~$4/pair (that’s because I used batting scraps – had I bought new batting the cost would have been closer to $5.
I have a new pair in my car. I have six pairs done – seven more to go in this batch – a total of 14 pairs of seatbelt covers.
I’m not sure whether I’ll gift these to the women in our knitting group, or whether we’ll take a day and they’ll make their own – they’d find that more satisfying, I’m sure.
Three more “sleeps” until my cast comes off – Yeah! I can’t wait. I will finally be able to get back to creating – sewing, knitting, quilting…. Yes.
This evening I was at my sister’s place for dinner and noticed a lovely watercolour in her family room titled “Ian’s Sock Drawer” – an artist friend of hers must have seen one of Ian’s sock drawers (he has three) and done this bright painting of his socks, and because I haven’t any original work in progress to share I thought I’d share my sock drawer.
Here it is in two steps – I have three columns of socks in my sock drawer (43 pairs in all) of hand knit woollen socks – the oldest knit in 2003 to the most recent 2019. I have given away many pairs from this sock drawer – worn, yes, but with lots of life left in them, in order to be able to add new socks to my collection.
This is what it looks like today – jumbled – no order to the colours. Sometimes I take all the socks out and replace them so like colours are together but over time as I wear them and wash them, they get put back at the front of a column that has room to squeeze them in. So my colour organization disintegrates.
One of these days I’ll sit on the floor and reorganize them into colour families again but for now (since it’s summer and I’m wearing sandals) they’re staying the way they are.