Mismatched Socks!

I don’t usually remove the wrappers from a ball of sock yarn – I work from the inside out so I need the wrapper to keep the outside end in place. However, this time I should have looked – I would have discovered that at ~200m into the ball I’d encounter a white strip to designate the start of the pattern repeat! Missed that. So I’ve ended up with two unmatched socks.

Mismatched Socks

I began the second sock by pulling yarn from the ball until I thought I’d got to a colour matching the start of the first sock. After six rows I could tell I was off and unskeined more yarn until I got a closer colour match. However, once I got into the second sock and came upon the white bit I realized what had happened. At that point I had two options – to undo the knitting back to the cuff, or keep going. I chose to keep going. I now realize I could have cut out the white length and most of the next 20 rows of yarn and likely got close to matching the first sock but that thought didn’t occur to me until I got close to the heel and by then I’d invested too much time to unravel back to before the white stripe. Instead, I unwound the yarn till I got to the start of the red section and began the heel, then brought in the blue after finishing the gusset and carried on with a blue foot. The result is two unmatched socks.

Surely one of my friends is comfortable enough to wear these socks as a “pair” – they’re as warm as all the others even if the feet are vastly different (the legs are somewhat similar).

Latest Socks

Finally finished this most recent pair – turned out rather differently than I expected from the appearance of the ball of yarn – much more yellow than I had anticipated. The knitting went reasonably quickly but I got side tracked by a week-long trip to Toronto for a family event last week. I took my knitting but didn’t actually get to do much – there was a ton of  parties – Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and evening, Sunday morning – not much time to work on sock knitting.

Latest Socks

I’m just about to start a next pair – shades of grey/mauve/rose – more subtle.

Socks From Leftovers #5

I thought this combination turned out particularly well. It was interesting to work on and I had more than enough yarn for the pair of socks.

Leftovers #6

What I particularly liked was how the navy/brown/rusts worked well together. The pattern changed often and with some narrow contrasting stripes.

This pair I’m keeping. In fact I’m going to wear them today!

And I’ve already selected two more leftover balls for the next pair.

Navy/Rust Socks

Shades of Orange

Blue Socks

Blue Socks

Finished these blue socks last evening. They may end up in my sock drawer. I like the way the variegation worked out – the staggared blue line separating colour sections makes the design quite lively.

I’ve already started the next pair – this new pair from the stash of leftover yarn from other socks – there’s lots of it in the leftover basket….

More Socks

Finished last evening. Into the stash they go. I was pleased with how the blue solid came very close to the blue in the variegated yarn.

Peach/Blue Socks

Can’t leave the needles empty – started a new pair, predominantly red/pink. I have two 100gm balls of variegated yarn left in my collection. Time to go through the yarn leftovers basket to see if I can find some combinations that will work. Each leftover is enough to make a pair of legs so two leftover balls will make a pair of socks, if I can find combinations of variegations that will work nicely together. That leftover yarn could keep me going for quite a while – there’s a lot of it there.

Courage Of The Morning Sun

Finished these socks yesterday. Used Opal yarn: Courage Of The Morning Sun. I loved the colour combination and the way it knit up. I happened to have a ball of Sisu yarn in a complementing shade of burgundy to go with the burgundy in the Opal yarn. It set up a striking pair of socks.

Courage Of The Morning Sun

The only challenge, which you can’t see in the photo, is that I didn’t quite get the start point for the second sock right. I didn’t remove enough yellow yarn before starting the sock so the strips don’t line up perfectly between the two socks. Given the nature of the “pattern” it doesn’t really matter. Nobody is ever going to notice when I wear them.

New Wool/Cotton Socks

Last month shopping for yarn at Have A Yarn in Mahone Bay NS, I came across this wool/cotton blend yarn. I’ve seen the yarn before and was hesitant about the feel of it and potential lack of stretchiness because of the cotton blend. However, I thought the colour combination was interesting so I decided to try a pair of socks.

Made with Pro Lana – Alicante 7 Yarn

The yarn is 45% wool, 35% cotton, 13% polyamide, 7% polyester. It’s plied in such a way that there’s quite a bit of stretch when you pull on the yarn. However, the socks, now knitted using the same number of stitches and same needles I use for wool socks, have come out with a looser fit than my regular wool socks. It will be interesting to see what happens when they’re washed. My wool socks return to their original fit when machine washed in cool water and air dried. I’m hoping the same will happen here – maybe even a bit of shrinking because of the cotton content.

Don’t think I will use the yarn again, though. I had no comparable yarns to use as contrast for cuffs, heels, toes, although this particular colour selection turned out a lively sock without contrast. I only bought the single ball of this yarn. I’ll be returning to using my usual wool (75%)/polyamide (25%) superwash yarn.