I had a second set of Bali Poppies strips – Poppy Field – which I held back from the previous quilt. With this quilt top I’ve started laying out strips – the plan is to have the strips on an angle across the width of the quilt top. I started with a long strip – at the moment I’m working my way into the top right corner, then I’ll pick up and work my way to the bottom left. I want the quilt to be about 46″ wide by whatever length it turns out to be.
I’ve elected to do mitre joins (rather than blunt ones) – that may not have been the best decision in this situation. I’m also alternating the direction of the joins – which means some are almost vertical and the next horizontal. I’m not sure the visual effect I was hoping for is going to materialize – I won’t be able to tell until then top is nearly assembled.
I’m having to piece this project one strip at a time, making sure I get the join direction correct and the join position somewhat interesting.
As I get further along I’m planning on inserting “diamonds” into the dark blue background. I may have to appliqué them in order for them to look like diamonds. I have a hunch that if I piece them into the background with mitre joins they’re going to look quite odd!
Once I got rolling again on piecing the quilt back, the quilt went reasonably quickly. I’d already set up an embroidery (320mm x 320mm) to quilt the project – using my “grand dream” hoop – 360x350mm. The hoop is “reversible” – the machine stitches out the right half of the embroidery design, then you rotate the hoop to stitch out the second half. So all I needed was to execute 16 repeats of the design. The quilting turned out quite nicely.
Then I stitched the sashing “in-the-ditch” using a navy 50wt thread adjacent the dark blue so the stitches are barely visible. After I trimmed the backing, I had enough leftover fabric to use as binding. I’d initially thought I’d turn the binding completely to the back, but in the end I liked having 1/4″ showing – it added interest to the quilt top. Then I hand stitched the binding to the back. It blended in perfectly; you hardly notice it at all.
Now I have the choice to display either side of this quilt – I’m almost tempted to show the back of the quilt in Parrsboro!
Just finished piecing the quilt back. I managed to get it a bit longer and a bit wider than the quilt top which will allow me to position the vertical pieced stripe further to the left a wee bit when I assemble the quilt sandwich.
I’m not sure how I feel about the unequal sashing on the pieced stripe – I suspect it ought to be symmetrical – the question is whether it wants both sides 1″ or both sides 1/2″? I’ll probably leave it as it is. Nobody looking at the finished quilt will even wonder about that possibility! They’ll accept whatever decision I made.
Now I have to think about binding fabric – I intend a hidden binding which will show only on the back side of the quilt; I suspect it should be pieced – I may be able to salvage enough from all four sides, after quilting, to make the binding strips which will then match (more or less) the four sides of the quilt! Wouldn’t that be nice. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
BTW the quilt back is actually square. I’ll be able to ease out the wobbles visible in the photo when I place it against the batting. That’s one of the things I like about Warm & Natural batting – the cotton fabric clings to it so I don’t have to use a spray glue when I assemble the sandwich. Also, I’ll be able to smooth each section when I place the quilt in the hoop to quilt it. The slight excess of fabric will disappear. I’m not going to fuss about at this stage. A good spraying with Best Press will shrink the fabric and eliminate a good bit of the fullness.
I’ve been pondering the quilt back for many days – I have the four long strips assembled from the 2 1/2″ batik pieces which I’d originally intended using on the front and I wanted to incorporate them in some way on the back. I picked up what could have been some batik backing fabric at Atlantic Fabrics on Friday – there wasn’t quite enough of it for a single length but I thought it brought out the colours in the small strips so I bought what was there. I also picked up this blue batik on Sunday at Heidi Wulffrat’s shop in Mahone Bay – just enough for a single strip. However this quilt (because it’s a square) needs ~60″ in width – close to 20″ needed to augment this strip I’ve assembled so far.
I’ve attached one of the long strips to the right side, the second is sitting on the floor beside it. I’m going to intersperse something between those two long strips and I intend using a third but I also want to integrate the fabric I bought on Friday which also needs to be broken up in some way.
I’ll just keep working at this. I’m thinking about this – if I get it more or less pieced in an interesting way – as possibly the front of the quilt! I have to see how it all turns out.
I also don’t have a name for this quilt, either! Maybe something will come to me when I get it completed.