Last spring I visited NYC to meet up with a group of sewers. We had a lovely time visiting fabric outlets, designers’ studios, notions stores, and a button warehouse. You can’t imagine how difficult it can be to buy buttons when you aren’t looking for a specific garment! I bought a couple of sets of shirt buttons, then had to shop for coordinating fabric.
This quilt started with a photo of a Kaffe Fassett quilt, done in shades of red/pink/yellows… I came across the bulrushes fabric in my local fabric shop, was taken by the peach shades in the fabric, bought a couple of coordinating fabrics then came home and raided my stash-ending up with 14 fabrics that worked well with the bulrushes. Cutting the pieces took a bit of time, stitching the blocks went faster than I expected. I played around with a couple of different block arrangements and decided to use the one that created diagonals from the square element of the block.
I enrolled in a Craftsy class on Modern Quilts by Elizabeth Hartman. This idea was for a quilt made using a block structure but to have that structure not be obvious. Her quilt was done in greys with a yellow accent. I had this collection of quarter yard purple fabrics. I added the sharp bright green as a contrast. I made it lap size which required double the number of blocks (24) and I added a narrow border to each side to widen the quilt just a bit. However my modifications blend in so that you don’t see the border as a separate piece but as a continuation of the whole.