Finally finished the face masks two days ago. Those last 20 were difficult to do – I’d reached my boredom threshold and could barely force myself to work on them. However, I got them all done and washed, and I delivered them yesterday.
Now on to some other sewing.
I’ve been wanting to make a small carrying bag for my iPhone. I find the version of the phone (XR) I have now is just a bit too large to carry comfortably in a pants pocket. So I’ve taken to using an embroidered glasses case (that has a side pocket with a zipper in it). I was given my first one by a friend. I added a cord to the open end and turned it into an iPhone case.
I have a second one – also a repurposed glasses case to which I’d added both a cord and a zippered side pocket.
But that one, too, is beginning to get a bit worn. Time to make a new one. The challenge was figuring out how to assemble the double pocket case. A small zippered bag is no big deal. An opening ended case is also no big deal. But doing them together in a single carrying case took a bit of trial and error.
I made one yesterday which didn’t work out but in the process I figured out how to construct the iPhone case.
First put the zipper in the side of the case (complete with lining) as if I were making a zippered bag, but leaving one side and end open. Then tack the zippered bag lining to the outer bag and now (with the zipper partly open to facilitate turning the bag right side out out later) attach a second lining to the open end (remember to place cord between bag and lining with ends included in this seam). Top stitch the bag/lining seam. Then sew the side seam of lining/bag. Turn bag/lining right side out, finish by folding in the open “bottom” end of the lining, stitching closed. Push the lining inside the bag between zippered bag lining and bag outer layer.
Once I had figured out I had to partially make the zippered bag, then the open-ended bag, the process went quickly. I used a scrap of quilted batik fabric I had on hand as a test piece. Worked fine. Phone fits.
Now, I’m in the process of embroidering a cross stitch design on a piece of linen so I can make a fancier case.
Here is the iPhone case finished (Click here for instructions):
[Click here for a more detailed set of instructions.]
Fancy phone holders!!
Very handy – the women in my knitting group have asked about them. I’ll make them each one for Christmas!
Great to see you shared the maskmaker parodies 😊
I don’t know of any parodies for iPhone carriers!!
Interesting about the peanut butter and smell test.