Striped Socks From Leftovers #2

Completed these socks Friday evening. Again, the two socks came out a reasonably matched pair even though I didn’t really bother to align either yarn.

Striped Socks From Leftovers

These socks look nothing like the original socks!

Courage Of The Morning Sun

Or this:

Purple Socks

Yesterday I began another pair from leftovers – this time I’m not going to interweave the yarns as I have for the previous two pairs, this time I’m planning on knitting a variable number of rows from each yarn in largish stripes to see how that will turn out. It will have the advantage of not having to change yarn every two needles as I knit in the round.

Turquoise Socks – Leftovers #1

I started these socks two weeks ago. I decided to begin using yarn leftover from other socks – I have a basket full of balls large enough, when combined, to make a pair.

I selected two yarns I thought might blend reasonably well and began knitting by alternating the yarns – the effect is an overall colour progression in alternating rows.

Turquoise Socks

Here’s how I do it: To start, I knit three needles using the first yarn, then go back to the first needle and knit two needles of the second yarn. After that, I continue knitting two needles of one yarn, then two needles of the second yarn – the second yarn is always one needle behind the first which means I never have to worry about crossing the yarns and I get a continuous smooth alternating spiral.

What’s interesting about this pair of socks is that while I was able to match the start point on one of the yarns, the colour changes on the other were too subtle to worry about but it turns out the yarns were in synch and both socks knit up with essentially the same pattern! That was a lucky outcome, I didn’t expect that to happen. The areas of dark and turquoise matched up pretty well.

Here are the original socks made from these two yarns.

Original Turquoise Socks

Original Gray/Magenta Socks

The yarns combined to produce something quite different yet interesting.

I’m now working on another pair amalgamating two yarns – I have enough leftover yarn to keep me going for many months!

Socks For Charlie

Finished last night. In the mail today! Charlie’s 4 years old (almost). Foot length 6 1/2″. His legs are still a bit chunky so I used 52 stitches, 40 rows leg length. Took four evenings to make. He said he liked yellow – I didn’t have much in the way of yellow leftovers. I came was close as I could, augmented with complementary colours.

Now I need a picture with Charlie wearing them! Then I’m expecting an order for two more pairs: one for Noah (nine), one for Mattie (seven) – I’ll need foot lengths, though.

Hey, the socks fit!

IMG_3926

Yet Another Pair

Finished these socks last evening. Made from two different leftover patterned yarns (plus some complementary solid). The combination worked out reasonably well.

I’m coming to the end of leftovers – another pair or two – and then I’ll need to buy more variegated sock yarn.

I started a brimmed hat before leaving for Newfoundland. I’ll get back to it later this evening after I get home.

Knitting…


Another pair of socks from leftover yarn. Finished last evening. I unrolled the yarn, counting the number of repeats; divided the yarn in half and started knitting trying to judge just how far the variegated yarn would go. I interspersed a soft green solid at the beginning of each repeat. It worked out well – I was able to extend the patterned yarn past the middle of the foot.

And now on to the next pair.

Latest Socks

 
Another pair from leftovers. I see now the cuff should have been in the purple rather in light blue – had I done that the color would have flowed from dark to light. I could change the cuff by unraveling this one and knitting a new one from sock to edge – but really that’s more work than it’s worth! They’ve been put in my sock drawer as they are. That’s it without taking a couple of pair out!

Something New From Leftovers


Been working away at this pair of socks for the past couple of weeks – slowly, in part, because the weather has been so humid the yarn was sticky and difficult to knit with, and because there was tennis on TV! Can’t knit and watch tennis, too.

The weather cooled and became a bit drier just before the weekend so I could knit again (and the US Open 2015 didn’t start till today). Finished this pair last evening.

I’m determined to use up the leg-length leftovers I have in the stash before I buy any more yarn. I’ve gone through the basket and matched up the yarns with one another and with solids – put the balls in plastic bags – enough in each bag for one pair of socks. It looks like I might have leftover yarn for a half a dozen pairs.

This is the first of the “leftover” socks. You can barely tell there are two different patterned yarns – they are interesting enough that I’ve put them in my sock drawer.

Now on to the next pair in blues, mauves & purples.