After weeks of walking around these forty 2 1/2″ fabric strips, I finally managed to get started.
Remember, I’m trying to create a quilt based on diamonds, from a jellyroll of 2 1/2″ strips. I came up with a way of combining strips to end up with a reasonable size diamond and a possibly pleasing colour flow.
I paired up strips close in colour, then sewed three pairs along one edge. I stopped to create a diamond template based on the 4 1/2″ width (twice as tall as wide) using a file folder (for stiffness) and cut out three diamonds from the sewn dark pair, which left me with six half diamonds from the off-cuts. I laid the diamonds out on the two other uncut strips to see how the this would look.
I could immediately see that if I stitched the second side of each pair, when I cut out a diamond, the off-cut would also be a stitched diamond (same size) that I could open and press rather than trying to sew two half diamonds (which is difficult!). So I sewed the second side of the medium and light pairs and cut them into diamonds:
The contrast between the light/medium/dark was stark so I introduced the turquoise Grunge fabric I was intending to use as a contrast – as half diamonds and as a full diamond (If I decide to use full diamonds in turquoise I will cut them as diamonds, not as half-diamonds).
Before sewing more strip pairs together I made a better template using quilting template plastic, backed it with file folder cardboard, marked the seam line along one edge as a reference and included the end cuts so I don’t have to cut a gazillion dog-ears from the diamonds after I’ve cut them all.
I stitched two more pairs, this time on both sides of the strips, cut them into diamonds and added them to the array.
Now you can start to see how I might be able to work on colour flow since the remaining 14 pairs are an array of light/medium/dark hues.
It’ll be interesting to see how much colour flow I can actually manage from this collection of fabrics – I won’t know until I’ve stitched all the remaining pairs, cut out the diamonds and start laying them on the floor (I don’t have a design wall – I don’t have a spare wall in my apartment studio to accommodate one).
Let you know how it goes once I’ve got a layout.
That looks like another really interesting project! I’ll look forward to seeing it. btw, it looks like WordPress is going to make it difficult for me to comment, so I’m not sure this will work.
Thanks for the comment, Melanie. Stay tuned as I try figuring out this project.