Just about there. I’ve spent the past day and a half moving diamonds around, then moving them some more. When I was more or less happy with the layout, I had to make a decision about how to border the piece.
My original thought was to make a uniform half-diamonds border with the dotted dark teal fabric I had planned on using with the original layout,
but I wasn’t happy with how the dark edge cut off the colour flow. I positioned the half-diamonds on the darker side:
The dotted dark teal blended much better both along that side and the top. I thought about trying to find a single fabric to border the rest but the colour variation is too great (from darker magenta pale blue/turquoise) – I decided to create border elements to extend the colour flow to the edge:
I am much happier with how this feels. I might be just about ready to start sewing the diagonal rows.
There are 215 pieces in this quilt top; I didn’t count as I was cutting – I must have used 90+ different fabrics, two diamonds for most of them, but I used a few fabrics three times and a few other just once. There’s huge colour variation in each diamond – I’ve positioned those with the highest contrast in strategic positions as I try to move the eye around. The photos don’t do justice to the vibrant colour I now have.
This is a very different piece from the original concept:
The challenge still remains: will I be able to sew these diamonds together and still have the panel stay flat!
I’m ready to start sewing….
The change is dramatic and beautiful. Good luck with the sewing
One of my favourite of your pieces!