This is as far as I’ve got – I’ve sewn all the diamonds together and the resulting panel isn’t half bad! I sashed it with a 1/2″ turquoise strip and widened the panel with a 5 1/2″ strip which includes three diamonds on point – I’m not sure I have those diamonds positioned right – I have a feeling I should bring them closer to the bottom of the panel by about 3″. If I do that, I will have to extend the other end – which means another seam in that strip.
I aiming for a finished size of ~ 48″ x 64″.
To achieve that I need three 3 1/4″ border strips – one each on top and bottom and one on the right side.
The question is whether I want to use the dotted dark blue fabric I’ve used on the dark side of the panel for the remaining three borders, or whether I want to piece it to reflect the changing colour of the panel – that’s the question. If I piece the border, I will make mitre joins to carry on the flow of the diamonds; those joins need to be at the same 45° angle as the diamonds.
I now need to dig through my fabric stash to see what I have that could work as a border.
Stunning but so complex!!
Nice play of light and dark in placement of diamonds. I think it would be emphasized by varying the border to reflect the value changes.
This is beautiful work.
Stunning. A lot of work but, oh my, how beautiful.